Providing info on foraging for edible plants, such as berries, mushrooms, and more!
Stories from the forest and other outdoor gathering adventures.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Nutrisystem: Day 7

Diet Season

Almost done with Turbo Takeoff week thankfully.  I'm down 11.3lbs today.  It has been consistently down since starting Nutrisystem, which is nice.  I hate when one day you go down and the next back up. 

I was reviewing my weight map on Fitbit since receiving Aria (the Fitbit scale) for Christmas 2015. Once thing I noticed is that I always start dieting in the fall (I've been doing this as far as I can remember).  I usually start running this time of year too.  Last year at this time I started working harder at the gym every day (I was already going) and counting my calories in the Fitbit app.  I lost almost 20 lbs but I could have kept loosing if I would have stuck to it.  But we started ordering pizza and eating fun food and I stopped logging my intake.  And you can see how I gained slower than I lost, but still consistently gained back to normal.  I know this is because of my food choices and the effort I put in at the gym.  The holidays always kill me too.  I love holiday food.  One year I remember making it thru Thanksgiving eating well and no junk.  Just once though lol.  With the first day of fall tomorrow, I know diet season is about to begin. 



Day 5, 6, & 7

I knew it was coming so I had time to prepare (and panic) but my grandmother in law took me out shopping and to lunch.  I am new to this area so she took me to a town I've never been.  We discussed the different places to eat and I said I didn't mind but would prefer a salad bar.  I figured I could just eat vegetables and use a tbsp. or two of diet dressing.  We went to Big Boy because it has a salad bar.  Well long story short, the salad bar looked terrible and was nothing I could eat within the diet anyway; they didn't have any fat-free dressings; and when I did order a salad from the menu, they covered it with parmesan and croutons.  Grr!!  I picked off all the lettuce with parmesan and ate the rest.  It had pickled beets and pepperoncinis (peppers) which aren't free vegetables, but I was able to use the juices from those too instead of a dressing so I think it was a successful diet outing. 

I was also doing more calculations with the (3) Power Fuels and (1) Smart Carb you have to add each day on the normal plan.  Most protein bars are worth (due to calories) about (1) Power Fuel and (1) Smart Carb.  Most protein shakes are worth (again, due to calories) about (2) Power Fuels.  Even after Turbo Takeoff week, you can continue to eat a protein bar and a protein shake daily and keep within your limits (the only difference is you get a fourth entrée [snack/desert] now too). 

So of course, now that I stepped out on my diet (even though it wasn't really stepping out), I ate some of my other food instead of the Turbo Takeoff food.  I ate a Nutrisystem frozen pizza and it was as amazing as all the reviews said it would be.  It was the turkey sausage something something pizza and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. 

Some Recipes

For the first few days I was eating like six to eight helpings of vegetables, but by now I'm hurting for three.  I don't know, but I think my stomach is finally shrinking. One of the lunch pastas I ate one day, I threw in some Kale Powder.  It tasted pretty good (honestly there isn't much taste to kale powder).  I have always looked for ways to prepare kale and there isn't anything out there other than Kale Chips (which require a ton of oil) and Green Smoothies (which usually require fruit).  So I finally found a Pinterest article talking about drying kale and grinding it into a powder.  That way you can eat it occasionally and without messing up your food.  It works for me. 

I've also been doing a lot of research in how to prepare vegetables in new ways.  I have a garden right now that has a bunch of ripe vegetables and I would love to use them if I just knew how.  One I found was Tomatillo Soup; if you omit the chicken, it makes a free food/free vegetable on the Nutrisystem plan.  The part of that recipe that boggled my mind was the mention of using frozen tomatillos.  Duh!  I grew them to make Salsa Verde, which I made a few months ago.  So now I've got these plants that are doing amazing and producing tons upon tons of tomatillos and have no idea what else to use them for.  I never thought of freezing them. 

I was also looking for a recipe to use up eggplant and something bread related.  I found an Eggplant Tomato Wrap that is all free vegetables except for vinegar (which is low in calories) and chia seeds (which are mostly fiber as it is).  I am going to try this one out today; I'm going to see how little chia I can get away with. 





No comments:

Post a Comment